Holiday in the CR:CZeCOTTourmapsEast BohemiaNorth Moravia-SilesiaTřeboň RegionUNESCOCzech inspirationActive holidayTimetablesGEOFUN

Sights and museums in the Třeboň Region

Visitors to Třeboň region have the possibility to visit various significant historical sites and to learn about the history of this region.

The most frequently visited and most significant monuments are found in the city Třeboň. The city centre with its large number of valuable historical buildings was declared an urban conservation site. It is surely worth visiting the remarkable renaissance chateau, the Augustinian monastery with the gothic church of Our Lady Queen and St. Jiljí. Třeboň can boast an extraordinarily preserved city fortification with bastions and gates and a picturesque elongated square, which is lined with a an arcade of gothic, renaissance and baroque buildings, of which the most interesting are the houses of Štěpánek Netolický and U bílého koníčka and the renaissance town hall with a tower. Other hard to miss sites are the baroque Marian column and fountain. Plus the famous architectural monument the neo-gothic chapel and tomb of the significant family the Schwarzenbergs, which stands in the shadow of the trees not far from the edge of the pond Svět.

It is also worth visiting the chateau in Stráž nad Nežárkou (during 1914 - 1930 the owner at the time Ema Destinnová lived here), Jemčina Chateau, or the Augustinian monastery in Borovany .

The region is complimented by villages with conserved folk architecture, primarily in the original Rustic Baroque style .

People interested in military history will surely be fascinated by the remains of forts, so-called “řopík pillboxes” (name derived from ŘOP – Directorate of Fortification Works), which created a network of light fortification. Work on the fortification along our borders began in 1936. One of the preserved bunkers can be found in e.g. Borovany.

Lovers of technical monuments will certainly be enthused by the bridges, of which there are more than plenty in South Bohemia and Třeboň region. It is definitely worth mentioning the late baroque flood bridges by Stará Hlína, or the reinforced concrete bridge in Halámky.

Objects on map

Detailed search

Search results

Tourist attractions Tourist attractions. (total: 12)
  • Budějovice Gate Budějovice Gate. Gate guarding the western periphery of the town. It was built according to the plan by Dominik Comta and Jan Lukana. It replaced the walled in Břilicka gate next to the chateau. In 1819 it was reconstructed into today's form. The building is richly ornate with graphite.
    Address: Třeboň
  • Hradec Gate Hradec Gate. Gate guarding the eastern part of the town, the core of which dates back to 1525-1527. After several fires it was reconstructed and it received today's appearance in 1875. It is the youngest of the Trebon entry gates.
    Address: Třeboň
  • Klikov pottery - ceramic workshop Klikov pottery - ceramic workshop. Old pottery manufactory in South Bohemian Klikova, which is run by Martin Hadrava. A large Cassel oven has been preserved here, in which pottery is fired today.
    Address: Klikov č.p. 27, Suchdol nad Lužnicí
  • Krčín's House Aqaurium Krčín's House Aqaurium. The house belonged to Jakub Krčín of Jelčan, the Rozemberk regent. We are reminded of this fact by the memorial plaque.
    Address: Třeboň
  • (Kukuřičné bludiště) Address: Roseč 8
  • Novohradská gate Novohradská gate. Gate built in the 1st half of the 16th century. The entrance is shaped in the form of a gothic lancet.
    Address: Novohradská brána, Třeboň
  • Regent Brewery Regent Brewery. One of the oldest breweries in the world with years of history. The original old castle brewery was replaced by a new one, which was established by reconstructing the former Rozemberk armoury. It acquired today's appearance in the 2nd half of the 19th century, when it was completely reconstructed. It was owned by the Schwarzenbergs until the end of the war. The trade name of the brewery was inspired by the character Jakub Krčín of Jelčan, who was the regent of William of Rozemberk.
    Address: Trocnovské náměstí 124, Třeboň
  • Stráž nad Nežárkou - chateau Stráž nad Nežárkou - chateau. Guard castle established in the 12th century in the crossing point of the Nežárka River. In the 17th century it was reconstructed into a chateau. In 1914-1930, the owner at the time, Ema Destinnova, lived in the chateau. Later on, the Army of the Czech Republic was housed here for 20 years, followed by the social care institute for 30 years. The building was run down. The current owner has restored it and made it accessible to the public.
    Address: nám. Emy Destinnové 1, Stráž nad Nežárkou
  • Svinenská Gate Svinenská Gate. The oldest of the Trebon gates with curled gables and graphite ornamentation on the north frontispiece and barrel vaults. It was built in the 1st half of the 16th century, it is doubled and two-storeyed.
    Address: Třeboň
  • Třeboň - mediaeval fortifications Třeboň - mediaeval fortifications. The first city ramparts were built in the mid-14th century. In the 1530’s, the fortification was expanded by an outer wall with bastions, which, along with the entrance gate, remain well-preserved to this day.
    Address: Třeboň
  • Třeboň - chateau Třeboň - chateau. In place of a Gothic stronghold was in the 16th century built a Renaissance castle owned by House Rožmberk and later by House Schwarzenberg. The large archive of documents of both houses presents a unique source of references to Czech history, which is sought after by many historians.
    Address: Zámek 115, Třeboň
Church monuments Church monuments. (total: 39)
Houses, palaces, fortresses Houses, palaces, fortresses. (total: 6)
  • (Dům č. 22) Address: náměstí T. G. Masaryka 22, Veselí nad Lužnicí
  • (Dům Štěpánka Netolického) (Dům Štěpánka Netolického). Address: Masarykovo náměstí 89, Třeboň
  • (Dům U bílého koníčka) (Dům U bílého koníčka). Rennaisance house in historical Masaryk´s Square, that was built in 1544. It belongs to a most uncorrupted and most beautiful cultural buildings in south part of Czech republic and surroundings.
    Address: Masarykovo nám. 97, Třeboň
  • Old town hall Address: náměstí T. G. Masaryka 110, Veselí nad Lužnicí
  • Sokol House Address: Budějovická 2, Veselí nad Lužnicí
  • The Vratislav's House The Vratislav's House. This Renaissance building was probably built in the 16th century by the Vratislav aristocratic family.The Vratislav‘s house is located in the very centre of the town Třeboň just opposite the castle.
    Address: Březanova 84/1, Třeboň
Memorials and monuments Memorials and monuments. (total: 6)
Military monuments Military monuments. (total: 1)
  • Borovany Bunker - military fortification One of the few well-preserved bunkers in Borovany has remained preserved thanks to its being situated in close proximity of railroad tracks; because of this it was not destroyed by fascist artillery. It is one of 36 specimens whose planners took inspiration from the French Maginot Line; the design of these bunkers were later replaced by an improved Czech variant.
    Address: Borovany
Chateaux and castles Chateaux and castles. (total: 10)
  • Borovany - former Augustinian monastery Borovany - former Augustinian monastery. The monastery was established by Petr of Lindy. It was no longer used under the rule of the Rožmberks and was renewed in 1663 by the care of Emperor Ferdinand III. In the middle of the 18th century, the Škapulířová Chapel and representative prelature were rebuilt. In 1785 the monastery was terminated by Emperor Joseph II, the chateau building was owned until 1939 by the Schwarzenbergs.
    Address: Borovany
  • Červená Lhota - chateau Červená Lhota - chateau. This renaissance castle is unique not only for its red walls but also for its position in the middle of a lake which mirrors its beauty. It is connected to the land by a stone bridge. The castle gained its today neo-renaissance form at the beginning of 20th century. Formerly in this place stood a stronghold above a small river, which was later adapted to a renaissance castle surrounded by an artificial lake. The castle interiors are of high historical value.
    Address: Kardašova Řečice
  • Chlum u Třeboně - chateau Chlum u Třeboně - chateau. The baroque chateau was built on the site of a gothic fortress, pseudo-baroque reconstruction (19th century). An extensive park by the chateau with statues from the 18th and 19th century.
    Address: Chlum u Třeboně
  • Cuknštejn - fortress Cuknštejn - fortress. Gradually reconstructed late Gothic fortress. It was built for Squire Vilém Pouzar from Michnice, who ordered its construction as his seat in 1488 to 1491. The fortress has a square ground plan; in one corner stands an octagonal tower and a defensive moat runs around the entire structure.
    Address: Údolí 152, Nové Hrady
  • Jemčina Chateau Jemčina Chateau. In the1st half of the 18th century Ansel Lurago built it after Count Černín Prokop Vojtěch. Since 1950 the chateau has served as the base for missile troops.
    Address: Jemčina 1, pošta Třeboň
  • Kardašova Řečice - chateau Kardašova Řečice - chateau. Baroque chateau from the first half of the 18th century. In the 18th and 19th century it underwent reconstruction. From 1930 it was owned by the Scholastic nun order, later it was returned to them in restitution.
    Address: Kardašova Řečice
  • Nové Hrady - chateau Nové Hrady - chateau. Address: Zámek 136, Nové Hrady
  • Nové Hrady - castle Nové Hrady - castle. The Gothic castle built on a trade route in the middle of the 13th century was overcome by adversity several times, namely by Hussites, imperial army, fire, gunpowder explosion and even by earthquake. Every time, it was restored to its Gothic shape. In the 17th century, the castle was given a Baroque sgrafitto-decorated central house. Castle defenses were provided not only by a massive fortification walls, but also by its unusually deep and wide brick-lined moat.
    Address: Nové Hrady
  • Stráž nad Nežárkou - chateau Stráž nad Nežárkou - chateau. Guard castle established in the 12th century in the crossing point of the Nežárka River. In the 17th century it was reconstructed into a chateau. In 1914-1930, the owner at the time, Ema Destinnova, lived in the chateau. Later on, the Army of the Czech Republic was housed here for 20 years, followed by the social care institute for 30 years. The building was run down. The current owner has restored it and made it accessible to the public.
    Address: nám. Emy Destinnové 1, Stráž nad Nežárkou
  • Třeboň - chateau Třeboň - chateau. In place of a Gothic stronghold was in the 16th century built a Renaissance castle owned by House Rožmberk and later by House Schwarzenberg. The large archive of documents of both houses presents a unique source of references to Czech history, which is sought after by many historians.
    Address: Zámek 115, Třeboň
Churches, chapels Churches, chapels. (total: 36)
Museums, galleries, and open-air museums Museums, galleries, and open-air museums. (total: 19)
  • Blatsko Museum in Veselí nad Lužnicí So-called Weis' House. Late renaissance building from the turn of the 17th century. It was built by the mayor of Šebína, Martin Lomnicky.
    Address: Náměstí T.G.M. 111, Veselí nad Lužnicí
  • Borovansky Mill Address: Samota 112, Borovany
  • Borovany - former Augustinian monastery Borovany - former Augustinian monastery. The monastery was established by Petr of Lindy. It was no longer used under the rule of the Rožmberks and was renewed in 1663 by the care of Emperor Ferdinand III. In the middle of the 18th century, the Škapulířová Chapel and representative prelature were rebuilt. In 1785 the monastery was terminated by Emperor Joseph II, the chateau building was owned until 1939 by the Schwarzenbergs.
    Address: Borovany
  • (Dům Štěpánka Netolického) (Dům Štěpánka Netolického). Address: Masarykovo náměstí 89, Třeboň
  • Exposition of Marionettes Address: Březanova 6, Třeboň
  • GaMu - gallery and museum Address: Čsl. Legií 1, České Velenice
  • Jan Žižka z Trocnova Memorial Jan Žižka z Trocnova Memorial. Address: Trocnov, Borovany
  • Museum of Agricultural Technology Museum of Agricultural Technology. Address: Údolí 28, Nové Hrady
  • Museum of František Miroslav Čapek - museum and former hospital The building of the former municipal hospital, in 1676 it was built by Prince Schwarzenberg. The building was sanctified by Saint John the Baptist and Antonio of Padua. In 1936, Jan of the Schwarzenberg's gave the building to the city, which used it for cultural purposes. Today the city library and museum are housed here. The extensive three-winged building is the only preserved hospital in the South Bohemian region.
    Address: třída 5. května 129/136, Lišov
  • Museum of historical gaming devices Museum of historical gaming devices. Address: ul. 5. května 315/219, Lišov
  • Novohradská smithery Novohradská smithery. Reconstructed smithery in which an experimental workplace was established in 2007, where interested persons can try making their own metal product and get an idea of what blacksmith's work is all about.
    Address: Komenského 36, Nové Hrady
  • Small Museum of Beer Address: č.p. 4, Libín, Slavošovice
  • Stráž nad Nežárkou - chateau Stráž nad Nežárkou - chateau. Guard castle established in the 12th century in the crossing point of the Nežárka River. In the 17th century it was reconstructed into a chateau. In 1914-1930, the owner at the time, Ema Destinnova, lived in the chateau. Later on, the Army of the Czech Republic was housed here for 20 years, followed by the social care institute for 30 years. The building was run down. The current owner has restored it and made it accessible to the public.
    Address: nám. Emy Destinnové 1, Stráž nad Nežárkou
  • Svět Gallery Address: Tylova 150, Třeboň
  • Třeboň Museum Třeboň Museum. Address: Masarykovo náměstí 1, Třeboň
  • Village museum, Kojákovice Address: čp. 80, Kojákovice
  • Water tower Water tower. Water tower dating back to 1909. Replica of Kotera's tower in Prague's Zelena liška. Originally a gas engine powered the pump in the tower, later it was replaced by a more modern electric engine. After the Second World War, the reservoir was no longer in use.
    Address: Třeboň
Listed zones and reservations Listed zones and reservations. (total: 13)
Technical monuments Technical monuments. (total: 10)
  • (Akvadukt na Zlaté stoce) Address: Třeboň
  • (Akvadukt na Zlaté stoce) Address: Majdalena
  • Borovany - stone bridge This double-arched stone bridge over the Stropnice River dates back to the late 18th century.
    Address: Borovany
  • Golden Canal - canal Golden Canal - canal. This water canal was built in 1506 - 1520 by Josef S. Netolický. The 47 km long canal brought water from the Lužnice river into the network of artificial lakes.
    Address: Branná
  • New River - canal New River - canal. This water canal was built in 1584 - 1585 and connects the rivers Nežárka and Lužnice and regulates the water flow into the Rožmberk lake.
    Address: Stráž nad Nežárkou
  • Road bridge Reinforced concrete bridge arches with the lower bridge floor has a five metre arch height and is 6m wide.
    Address: Halámky
  • Rožmberk Pond Rožmberk Pond. The largest Czech pond. The dike is 2430 m long. it was designed by Rožmberk regent Jakub Krčín of Jelčan and Sedlčan.
    Address: Třeboň
  • Stará Hlína - stone bridge Stará Hlína - stone bridge. These are two so-called "flood bridges", used mainly during spring floods since 1789. The longer one with 12 stone arches is 118 m long, 7 m wide and 5 m high.
    Address: Stará Hlína
  • Water tower Water tower. Water tower dating back to 1909. Replica of Kotera's tower in Prague's Zelena liška. Originally a gas engine powered the pump in the tower, later it was replaced by a more modern electric engine. After the Second World War, the reservoir was no longer in use.
    Address: Třeboň
Plague, marian and trinity columns Plague, marian and trinity columns. (total: 1)
Jewish monuments Jewish monuments. (total: 5)
Statues, memorials, commemorative plaques Statues, memorials, commemorative plaques. (total: 2)
Archaeological monuments Archaeological monuments. (total: 1)
  • Mikeš courtyard - archaeological dig Mikeš courtyard - archaeological dig. The foundations of the Mikšova courtyard were discovered during an archaeological dig in Trocnov in 1921-1937. The courtyard, which possibly belonged to Žižka’s uncle, is a part of a monument dedicated to Jan Žižka.
    Address: Trocnov

Map

Coordinates: 
 
 
E-shop
Weather
22.7. 14:20
today
Cloudy
26°C
23.7.
tomorrow
Partly cloudy
27°C / 18°C
24.7.
Monday
Rain
24°C / 16°C
25.7.
Tuesday
Partly cloudy
21°C / 14°C

Source: Weather Meteocentrum [w:trans]Nové okno[/w:trans].

About us

Questionnaire

Which destination in the Třeboň region would you definitely recommend friends to visit?