Handicrafts in Třeboňsko
Among typical economic sectors in Třeboň region is also the production of pottery. The development of pottery production, mainly in Klikova and the surroundings, took place in the second half of the 19th century, as the production of so-called soft pottery was restricted. New technology began to replace old technology, whereby pottery goods were fired at a much lower temperature. The production advancement was brought to Bohemia by the German Klaus family, who was already producing its goods fired in a Kassel kiln at high heat in 1850 in Prague. The local pottery workshop attracted new potters to Klikov and enabled the production of longer lasting and more durable goods. More workshops were established in the area – in Tušť, Hamr, Suchdol, Chlum. Primarily brown glazed „selská" pottery was made, but also white and decorated tableware, pottery workshops were not even able to cover the demand. After World War I, decrease in sales followed, which caused an increase in the production of factory-made metal and porcelain tableware. Many workshops were closed, only those who transformed to modern pottery manufactories had a chance to survive. It is still possible to visit pottery workshops in Klikov and its surroundings, which have preserved the original method of firing pottery – e.g. the Pottery Manufactory of Martin Hadrava .
Other pottery workshops in Třeboň region:
- The Workshop of Roman Hulík near Jindřichův Hradec
- Pottery by Kočků
- Pottery Workshop at Klikova - Marta Pozníčková, Klikov 142 – production of cut pottery
- Pottery Workshop of Marek Hofhanzl – production and sale of garden and park pottery
Other pottery workshops are in Hrdějovice and Nova Ves near České Budějovice, in Jarošov nad Nežárkou, in Bechyně.
In the small village of Tušť you will find the basket weaving workshop of Milan Mach. He weaves baskets from pine chips using the same technique as his grandfather, who taught him how to do so. At present, he is practically the only continuator in the pine chip weaving tradition in Třeboň region. In 2003, the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic granted him the title of " Bearer of the Tradition of Folk Craft ".
Contact: Milan Macho, residential area 17. listopadu 566, 378 06 Suchdol nad Lužnice, tel. 607 126 756
You can find a reconstructed blacksmith’s workshop in the Třeboň region in the centre of Nový Hrad. An experimental workplace was established inside the blacksmith’s for visitors to the blacksmith’s workshop, where those who are interested can try and make their own ironwork product under the supervision of an experienced blacksmith, try out their skills and get a closer idea of what the blacksmith trade entails.
Search resultsMuseums, galleries, and open-air museums (total: 18)
Blatsko Museum in Veselí nad Lužnicí  So-called Weis' House. Late renaissance building from the turn of the 17th century. It was built by the mayor of Šebína, Martin Lomnicky.
Address: Náměstí T.G.M. 111, Veselí nad Lužnicí
Borovansky Mill  Address: Samota 112, Borovany
Borovany - former Augustinian monastery  The monastery was established by Petr of Lindy. It was no longer used under the rule of the Rožmberks and was renewed in 1663 by the care of Emperor Ferdinand III. In the middle of the 18th century, the Škapulířová Chapel and representative prelature were rebuilt. In 1785 the monastery was terminated by Emperor Joseph II, the chateau building was owned until 1939 by the Schwarzenbergs.
(Dům Štěpánka Netolického)  Address: Masarykovo náměstí 89, Třeboň
Exposition of Marionettes  Address: Březanova 6, Třeboň
GaMu - gallery and museum  Address: Čsl. Legií 1, České Velenice
Jan Žižka z Trocnova Memorial  Address: Trocnov, Borovany
Museum of František Miroslav Čapek - museum and former hospital  The building of the former municipal hospital, in 1676 it was built by Prince Schwarzenberg. The building was sanctified by Saint John the Baptist and Antonio of Padua. In 1936, Jan of the Schwarzenberg's gave the building to the city, which used it for cultural purposes. Today the city library and museum are housed here. The extensive three-winged building is the only preserved hospital in the South Bohemian region.
Address: třída 5. května 129/136, Lišov
Museum of historical gaming devices  Address: ul. 5. května 315/219, Lišov
Mushroom Park and Elf Paradise - fun park and museum  Address: Roseč 3
Novohradská smithery  Reconstructed smithery in which an experimental workplace was established in 2007, where interested persons can try making their own metal product and get an idea of what blacksmith's work is all about.
Address: Komenského 36, Nové Hrady
Small Museum of Beer  Address: č.p. 4, Libín, Slavošovice
Stráž nad Nežárkou - chateau  Guard castle established in the 12th century in the crossing point of the Nežárka River. In the 17th century it was reconstructed into a chateau. In 1914-1930, the owner at the time, Ema Destinnova, lived in the chateau. Later on, the Army of the Czech Republic was housed here for 20 years, followed by the social care institute for 30 years. The building was run down. The current owner has restored it and made it accessible to the public.
Address: nám. Emy Destinnové 1, Stráž nad Nežárkou
Svět Gallery  Address: Tylova 150, Třeboň
Třeboň Museum  Address: Masarykovo náměstí 1, Třeboň
Třeboňsko House of Nature - exposition and visitors' centre  Address: Zámek 110, Třeboň
Village museum, Kojákovice  Address: čp. 80, Kojákovice
Water tower  Water tower dating back to 1909. Replica of Kotera's tower in Prague's Zelena liška. Originally a gas engine powered the pump in the tower, later it was replaced by a more modern electric engine. After the Second World War, the reservoir was no longer in use.